How I Remote Taught (Part 2 - Starting to Implement)

When we first started working from home, I was looking at a 2-week period with the thoughts that we would be going back to school.

I went pretty ambitious - I posted two weeks' worth of assignments for students to work on. I was happy with the organization of it (I try my best to make things clear); here's what I ended up with:
Math 3:
Precalc:


Now, as I look back, the Precalc chart is overwhelming. Yes, it was two weeks' worth of work, and maybe it's because we've been through this now for a quarter, but I'm feeling intimidated by it.  (I totally should have broken this down into smaller pieces. Students, I'm sorry!)

On my end, I hadn't yet figured out the best way to deal with what was coming in. I decided that I wanted to keep students (and especially their parents) up to date with the progress being made, so I updated grades every day - we weren't officially grading, but I added each assignment with a weight of 0 and every afternoon updated our grading software with what I saw. It took me over an hour every day to do this; I was split-screening and just trying to see what had changed from the day before. It was a mess. I was frustrated and annoyed.

I posted a feedback form near the end of these two weeks, and there were two big takeaways:
1.  Students appreciated the updated daily grades (ugh)
2. Several students mentioned that they would like a day-by-day assignment

So I had changes to think about.



Comments