#Made4math Attempt #1

A few days ago there were some rumblings around the twittersphere (thanks to @druinok and @pamjwilson) about bringing craftiness into the math classroom.  A challenge was sent out for people to make something and post a link to it on Monday.  I'm hoping that's not every Monday (as I'm sure I'll run out of ideas pretty soon) but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a whole lot of time today to throw much together. One idea I'd had, though, was to post the "Be Less Helpful" phrase somewhere in my room so that I remember to do it (it's such a struggle for me not to give in and make the kids do some thinking on their own).

So here's what I came up with:

It's a $3 frame with "Be Less Helpful" in Raditad font (which you can find here).  I printed it in red, yellow, and green to remind me of the stoplight idea I'd like to try to use in class this year (more on that later.... or you can go to Simplifying Radicals to read about it).

I might decorate the frame a bit (my 5 year old picked out some glitter glue the other day at the store) but for now that's all I've got.

I'll try my best to come up with something better for next week... maybe using that fun scrapbook paper I bought today?

Comments

  1. I think that is perfect!!! Great job :)

    And yeah, we're going to try for every Monday... BUT, it doesn't have to be crafty, just something for your classroom! Could be a new lesson, new activity, teacher form, anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, I'm shocked that it didn't say "I crushed a gazillion miles already." My only complaint is the yellow is hard to see because I'm old and going blind.

    You do that. Come up with something better next week.

    (I'm laughing as I write this. I do love you.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fawn, knowing that I've run a gazillion miles already isn't something I need to remind myself of :)

    I agree, though, that the yellow is kind of light. I was thinking I might accent some of the colors with pencil or something to try and get them to stand out some. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment