NCTM

I just applied for money to attend the NCTM Annual Conference in Indianapolis - really hoping I get it!  It's not until April, but I wanted to be one of the first in for the money.  I talked 2 other teachers into going with me (not that I had to do much convincing) so it should be a good time.  In 2003 I went with one of them to the conference in Las Vegas - I can freely admit that the location was a big attraction for us.  The conference wasn't great; there were too many people which led to too much waiting for sessions.  We'd sit for an hour or so in a hallway just to get into a 50-minute session.  Sorry, but doing that in Vegas?  Not a good time.  I can't imagine that Indy will be as much of a draw for people and am hoping it'll be organized better.

Our annual Open House was last night and I think went pretty well.  I prepared some slides (mostly for me to remember what I wanted to talk about) and got a pretty good reception from the parents.  Luckily, our network was up (it had been down pretty much all day) so I was able to show them the class blogs and talk about twitter and such.  The temperatures have been in the 90s all week, so although it stunk to be here all day suffering through the heat and then have to come back, it was nice for the parents to have to experience the uncomfortable-ness, too.  I heard many comments about how they feel for us in having to deal with it all day.  So go vote for a levy, people!

Comments