Slide Rule Update

I'm in major ADHD mode (which I think is adult-onset due to twitter) with just a few days before school starts. I feel like I have to get everything done NOW and I'm jumping from one task to another like crazy.

But I wanted to take a moment to share something that I thought was super cool.

Some background:
In 2009 I borrowed a class set of slide rules from the International Slide Rule Museum and learned how to use one. Then I taught the kids. If I remember correctly, it was just a few days to fill before Thanksgiving break. But it was interesting! (Here are a couple of quick posts about it: post 1  post 2 )

Then, about two weeks ago, I received this email:

I responded saying that of course, I would love to have the slide rules! I'm never going to turn down an offer of gifts. :)

My kids and I went in to school on Monday to drop off some of the stuff that's been accumulating in my dining room this summer and a box was waiting for me.  It was the slide rules!  Along with a lovely note:


How totally cool is that?!  Not only did this gentleman search me out, send me his slide rules (one is 55 years old!), but his wife also has a connection to the area.  His return address wasn't local, so I'm just seeing this as a major coincidence.

I'm horrible with thank you notes, but I'll definitely make an effort to send him one!

Comments