#MySummerList

1.  Sleep. But get out of bed at a reasonable time and run before really starting the day. (And by reasonable I mean 8 - 8:30.)

2. Read. I have a stack of books that I'd like to read. And an awesome front porch that's just waiting for me.

3. Enjoy TMC and not freak out about presenting. Like, what the heck was I thinking?! Be nice to me, people.

4. Re-do Precalc.  No small feat!  But with switching to the integrated pathway there's a ton of overlap between Math 3 and Precalc. There's also a few things we need to add back in (conics and matrices) that were left out of the common core curriculum. But so much of the polynomials and rational functions live in Math 3 now that we shouldn't have to reteach it, especially in an honors class. Looks like there's a group of people on twitter that are re-thinking their precalc classes, too, so hopefully we'll get things figured out. (Check out #precalchat.)

5. Re-do Math 3. I'm not looking for a major overhaul here (hopefully), but we just adopted a book series that has a pretty substantial online portal. I'd like to play with it and get a good idea of how I'd like to use it next year.  It's nice to have the year laid out, though, so I can tweak this summer instead of creating from scratch.

6. All the little stuff.
How do I treat homework?  There's an online option for precalc too, that I could add in so the kids aren't always doing book work. I don't like going all online but it would be nice to be 50/50ish. And I'd feel better about giving grades for homework if I knew the kids weren't just copying each other's problems or the answers from the back of the book (which I encourage them to use to check). In Math 3 I plan on using the new program and supplement with worksheets. The kids won't have a physical book.

What about warm-ups? I love warm-ups in class; I think a lot of good learning and review happens then. But should I make them timed for those classes who are soooo sloooow to get started? And what about the kids who wait until I go over problems to write down the answers?  It'll never be perfect.

I loved using the folders for tables this year; it made passing out and collecting papers so much easier. I need to think about any possible changes for that, if necessary.

Last summer we bought a new house (moved the weekend after school started), and I got this "new" job. It was a crazy summer.  I'm hoping for a much more relaxing one in 2016!


Comments