Word Problem Choice

In my Math 3 classes we've been working on some trig. I hadn't been planning on doing trig as our next unit but I know there are a bunch of my kids who will be taking the ACT this weekend so I wanted to expose them to it first.

I started out with reviewing (ha!) right triangle trig, then went to Law of Sines and Law of Cosines. Yesterday we talked about areas of triangles. It's actually been fun to see kids enjoying solving - and they're not shy about telling me that they like it!

When we reach this point in my Honors Precalculus class I give them some word/application problems to solve. While the kids aren't too excited about them, I love it! It's not very often in Precalc that we get to some real-world situations. So I wanted to do the same for Math 3, but I know they're not ready for that level of problem.

Instead, I put together 9 problems (some from the precalc packet) and assigned points for each (1 - 3). The kids will need to choose which problems to do, but they have to total 9 points. So they can do 6 problems worth 1 & 2 points each or 3 problems worth 3 each. Or a combination thereof.

Here's an example of one of the problems. We did some problems similar to it today in class so it shouldn't be a big challenge. Hence, a 1-pointer.

Hoping tomorrow goes ok! If your kids are anything like mine, application/word problems are not their favorites... but if that's their only choice they can't skip them all!

(If you're interested, here's a link to the whole packet.)


Comments