Sunday, February 21, 2016

Weekend comments

First, the bad:
I'm frustrated with Math 3 kids who can't factor. I'm going to start assigning a weekly factoring review. And including it on every single quiz for the rest of the year.

I'm annoyed that Math 3 kids don't know the difference between numerator and denominator. And therefore mix up the zeros of a rational function with its vertical asymptotes.  Do I need to say "top" and "bottom" for high school juniors?

Now, the good:
I'm done grading for the weekend and it's only 3:16 pm on Sunday afternoon!
Time for a run :)

*Edited to remove anything that might be taken as personal for anyone. Just me venting. If all students did their own work all of the time, I'd be happy.


4 comments:

  1. What percent of their grade is homework? And how do you check it? Curious, thanks. Mine's worth 0 percent so I say, practice because the homework is practice for the assessment. Started going over 1 homework problem a day a few days last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't weight my grades, so I don't know what percentage homework ends up being. More than I'd like! I struggle every year with how to encourage kids to do their work but not give too much weight to it. Still haven't found a solution that I like!

      Delete
  2. have you checked out deltamath.com There is some good factoring practice on there you can assign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking now. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete