Tuesday, September 1, 2015

And more lessons...

I thought my Math 3 kids were doing well on the characteristics of functions (domain, range, increasing, decreasing, intercepts, end behavior, extrema) until I gave them a little check today with an online "quiz" that I'd built.

And now I know the truth.

Sure, some are doing great! But a lot more aren't and are trying to hide behind the kids answering the questions.

This just shows how important it is to do intermediate checks despite how a class "feels".

Formative assessments, anyone?

The grading is great online for matching, multiple choice, and true/false questions. But I wanted to see the kids' notation, so I left the questions as short answer. More of a pain to grade but so much more evidence!  So glad I did it that way.  With almost 90 kids to do this for though, that's going to be something I'll really have to consider in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I'm teaching the same concepts right now. Any advice on how to keep students from mixing them all up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've really just practiced a lot. I also gave them a bunch of graph characteristics where they had to draw the function, then we checked by finding the characteristics of the function. I thought it also might be fun to do a matching/card sort activity, but I didn't want to take the time to create it. So if you so choose.... :)

    ReplyDelete