Getting started planning

I'm still not sure if I'll be teaching AP Stats or not, but I will have 3 sections of College Prep Math 3. My district went with the integrated CCSS pathway, so Math 3 is the previous Algebra 2 course that also includes some geometry and statistics (and trig - yay!).

The bad:  It's never been taught before at the College Prep level and we don't have books.

The good: I have a chance to create my own course, guided by the standards and the pacing guide (that I put together this spring). So that's fun! Albeit a lot of work.

We do have electronic access to Pearson's Math 3 book, and we use a program called MathXL that the kids can use for customized homework problems. They can even take tests/quizzes on it.

After looking at what was covered in Math 2 (a lot of geometry with some quadratics at the end of the year), here's my plan.

1. Start with a Parent Function foldable.  I want the kids to see the basic types of functions we'll be working with and learning about. I don't know if I can make 3 classes worth (85 kids?) using card stock, but it would be nice if the kids could keep them all year to add to and use as a resource.  I'd include linear, quadratics, cubics, square root, cube root, and absolute value functions. Probably not in that order.

After spending an embarrassing amount of time creating this foldable, it's done to my current satisfaction.

(Here's a link to the basic format if you'd like it. I just copied the one page back to back and upside down 3 times to make the six different pages.)



2. After going over the functions, we'll rewind back to linear and quadratic functions. Solving, graphing, etc. We'll also talk characteristics (increasing, decreasing, maxima, etc) and add that to our foldable.

I also started looking for some Math Practice posters to put on my pretty bulletin board and wasn't happy with anything I found. So I made my own! They have the standard, some more student-friendly tips, and key vocabulary. They're pretty plain, but I'll probably put an orange background around each. Again, here's a link to all of them.


ETA:  I couldn't stand it... I redid my Math Practice Posters.


And then there's a second page for each with the practice in more student-friendly terms.
I feel better now.





Comments