4th quarter! Math! What could be better?

Once again, it's hard to believe that it's 4th quarter. We were on Spring Break last week and are now facing 40ish days to finish up the school year. Woo hoo!

I've been working on putting together some pacing guides for our Math 1, 2, and 3 courses - we went with the Integrated pathway and there isn't a whole lot out there!  Try shopping for new textbooks... Most publishers (that we've seen, anyway) reissued an Algebra 1 textbook and slapped a couple of chapters of Geometry at the end.  Yeah, no.

So for now our teachers are making do with MathXL and piecing together sections from the books we already have. I'm hoping that if we have these pacing guides it'll help give people a clearer idea of what all needs to be taught.

This is a section from the Math 1 document (it's not ready to go fully public yet):
You've got the dates, unit name, # of weeks, short list of topics, standards, when they're tested, and the calculator policy of the standard.

The green and yellow highlighting indicates the importance of the topic being taught (green > yellow > blue) and I linked the standards to their places in our Unpacked documents.

If I was teaching this course I'd be pretty happy with this information. My only worry is that it's too much; one teacher I showed this to said all he wants is the topic list. That doesn't bother me at all (cough cough).

We have a Math Course of Study meeting on Wednesday so I need to have these done by then. I think the teachers will be linking in different resources they're using for the different standards, so it's almost like we're creating our own textbook.

And I get to live in math world for a while, which makes me happy. :)

Comments