With changes come tough decisions.

When I got my new job a few weeks ago, it made me really think about whether attending the 2013 version of Twitter Math Camp was the right move.  Of course I knew it would be fun and I was really looking forward to seeing all of my friends (and meeting new ones for the first time!) but since I'm not technically a math teacher anymore, did I really need to attend?

I let my heart lead my decision and decided to go anyway. I know I'd learn new stuff, but if I'm not in the classroom a lot of the sessions wouldn't be as applicable for me.

Then this week I had to take my daughter for a follow-up appointment at the ENT. She'd failed her hearing test at her annual check up and at our last appointment the ENT detected a lot of fluid in one of her ears. My girl had just gotten over an ear infection, so the doctor thought that fluid might be a result. She determined on Thursday that the fluid was still present and gave us an antibiotic that will hopefully clear it up. At our next appointment (the Thursday of TMC) it will be decided if she needs tubes in her ears to help with the fluid (assuming the antibiotics doesn't work). While I can miss the appointment as long as I'm available by phone, I don't feel right about not being there for her. And to piggyback on that, I honestly don't know who would take her to it. My husband has to work and I was either going to leave the kids with a friend, our babysitter, or take them to my parents'.

So there's that.

My son is also facing getting braces in the very near future.  He's pretty excited about it (because he doesn't know how much it's going to hurt yet!) but I'm not... I can hear the money draining from our bank account every time we head in for an appointment.

So is spending hundreds of dollars on gas, hotels, food, and fun the best thing for me right now?  And not being there when one of my children faces a doctor's appointment that could potentially mean a surgery (even though it's outpatient and done so routinely)?

My head won.  I decided that TMC isn't the best choice for me right now, and I'm bummed about it.  I don't know whether I'll avoid twitter for those 5 days or stay glued to it... it depends on if I want to feel sad and missing out or try to feel included.

Because you know they'll be tweeting.

Comments

  1. I know this is old news by now, but I wanted to add my name to the list of people who are sad. You were (and still are) on my list of people I want to meet! It sounds like you made the best choice for your family, though. I hope you will keep blogging, even though your focus may change. I look forward to reading about your future adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment