Friday, April 19, 2013

Student Equations

I'm still giving my students a Quote of the Week for them to respond to.

Last week's was this W.C. Fields quote:
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."

I was shocked at how many of the precalc kids agreed with it. They basically thought that it wasn't worth wasting your time.  I don't know if they actually thought that or are just so used to agreeing with what a teacher says that they don't think.  I hope it's none of the above.

I gave the same quote to my freshmen this week and they all disagreed.  Phew.


This week's quote was from Albert Einstein:
If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Instead of getting their feedback, I asked them to write an equation that fits their lives.  Here are some of the results.


(click on it to enlarge.)

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing, and being clever, and giving the kids a place to think outside the box.

    If A is success in life, the x + y + z = A, where x is gratitude, y is when work and passion are synonymous, and z is food or my dog...you choose.

    ReplyDelete