Steps

I emailed the manager from McGraw-Hill on Sunday afternoon to let her know that I wasn't going to proceed with possible employment there. She sent me back a very nice email saying that she was "so very sorry" to hear that but totally understood. She also said to let her know if I was interested in any freelance work.  So there's that.

Then I emailed my resume to Mary from Math Solutions. I just heard back from her saying she'd passed it on to one of their recruiters and I should be hearing from them soon. Four minutes later I got an email from one! Included with the email was a job description... what concerns me is that it is for a part-time consulting job. The salary that Mary mentioned was generous for the part-time, but I'd be losing any benefits that I currently have. As a family we use my insurance; my husband works for a small construction company and I'm sure their rates are through the roof. I guess that's something we'd need to check on.

There was also a job application included in the email; I just filled it out and am ready (I guess) to send it back. Not that this is anything final by any means, but there's just something about making this next step.  Like it's real or something.

I talked with my principal yesterday about my job search; I may have jumped the gun a bit but I didn't want to hide anything. He's new to our district, a former math teacher, and really seems like a good guy. He mentioned that he's trying to work out some coaching opportunities within the school, even as a one period a day/3-day a week thing. It'll be interesting to see if that goes anywhere. He told me that he didn't want to see me go; the kids often mention how much they like me and my class. I said that I don't really want to go but feel like I need to do something new.

I forgot to mention that Mary suggested a couple of coaching books for me. One is called Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction (by Jim Knight) and the other is Coaching Classroom Instruction (by Robert Marzano and Julia Simms). She said they'd be good resources even if I decide to stay at my school. I ordered both and am waiting for them to arrive.

Off to send my application.

Comments