Bah humbug!

Oh, I'm soooo not in the mood for today.

It's the last day of school before Christmas (ahem, Winter) break.  Typically this day is a crazy one and I feel like I'm babysitting.  This year, though, things have worked out pretty well so that the kids actually have stuff to do.  It's so hard to deal with a short (2-day) week when you're not going to be back for almost 2 weeks.

Anyway, right now my precalculus kids are taking a quiz.  It was supposed to be on Friday, but we had a snow day on Thursday so I pushed the quiz to yesterday.  However, yesterday we didn't have this class because of a holiday assembly, so on Friday I told them if they weren't going to be here today they needed to see me to take the quiz early.   (Get that?  Quiz was moved from Friday to Monday to Tuesday in this class.)

Two senior boys were out on Friday.  Guess who I saw standing at my desk just as the bell rang to start class!  Those two boys!  And guess what they were saying!  "Do we have to take this quiz?"

I'm tired, I'm grumpy, I'm sick of dealing with kids who won't do what they're supposed to be doing.

You were at school yesterday even though I didn't see you.  If you had questions you could've stopped by.  Yes, you're taking the quiz.  Sit down.  Start working. 

(I was a bit grumpy yesterday, too, so I gave my Algebra 1 kids some non-planned homework when they couldn't control themselves after finishing a quiz.  I'm guessing the completion percentage of the assignment - 5 slope problems - will be in the teens.)

Did I mention that it's Grandparents Day?  So 5 of the kids in class just left to meet their grandparents.

Bah humbug.

Comments

  1. I had a similar experience last Wednesday. We gave a quiz the previous Thursday, but a few kids were absent. I found one of them on Tuesday and told him he would have to take the quiz on Wednesday. Wednesday rolls around and I hand him the quiz. After 10 minutes he turns to me and says, "can I take this quiz at another time? I had no idea there was a quiz today and don't know how to do any of this." Keep in mind this was a week after everyone else in the school took the quiz...

    Bah... Humbug.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment