Happy Thanksgiving!

A few weeks ago a friend of mine at my church talked me into running the Thanksgiving Day 10k with her in Cincinnati.  I started running last January and have done a couple of 5ks but running more than 3 miles at a time wasn't part of my training process.  After talking with her about it, though, I tried to up my miles and got to 6+ a couple of times so I figured I could do the race today.  (She actually had to back out last week due to some health issues, but I ended up running with some other friends.)

I bought a Nike+ watch this summer that helps me to keep track of my mileage/time/pace.  Once I got it calibrated it's been pretty spot-on with the distance, so I was shocked when I checked it after the race and it showed me that I'd run 6.5 miles (instead of the 6.2 that a 10k consists of).  Honestly, I was a little disappointed.  That throws off all of my runs for the past 4 months or so!

This is what I get from nike:



I was just looking online, though, and found a google website called Gmap Pedometer.  I know google has all kinds of sites out there that I don't know about, but this one's pretty cool.  You can enter in your route and it gives you your distance.  What I think is the coolest is that it will also show you the elevation change in your route.  Here's the link for the race route today. 

Know what?  Google said it was a 6.5 mile run, too.  I'm glad to know that my whole running career hasn't been built on a lie! :)

(And then I came home, ate Thanksgiving dinner, and took a nap.  Ahhhhhh.)

Comments